Interesting People mailing list archives

How Workarounds Drive Telecom and Networking

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 08:30:09 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Amy Wohl" <amy () wohl com>
Date: May 2, 2009 8:02:29 PM EDT
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: [IP] How Workarounds Drive Telecom and Networking

I would like to thank DeWayne Hendricks ( Fred Goldstein djf_) for the fine history lesson, especially the part about he who is not willing to eat his own children gets
to watch someone else do the job for him.

I once had Digital as a valued client -- need I say more? I can recall a meeting with Ken Olsen where I asked Ken (whom I thought was wonderful) why
he didn't believe PC's were going to succeed (we were already in the
mid-80's by then). He replied, "Because they're so expensive." I believe he meant relative to DEC VAXes. I wanted to snap back, "You mean, DEC PCs
are so expensive," because they were incredibly over-engineered and
over-priced, but I couldn't say that to him.

It's very hard to participate in the next round of a market you've been a leading player in. The reason IBM succeeded in the PC market (for a little
while) was they were determined not to repeat their mistakes in the
minicomputer market.  But then they did it all over again in the
client/server market.  It's hard to give up high margin products.

The only way to avoid it is to nimbly keep reinventing markets and being a
premium innovator in each new market -- ask Apple.

Amy D. Wohl
Editor, Amy Wohl's Opinions
40 Old Lancaster Road, #608
Merion, Station, PA 19066