Interesting People mailing list archives

Asterisk VoIP switch hacked for robo phishing expedition

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 05:54:14 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Larry Vaden <vaden () texoma net>
Date: May 18, 2009 8:36:46 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>, ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Asterisk VoIP switch hacked for robo phishing expedition

Dr. Farber,

For IP if you wish:

Although likely not a case of first impression, if you operate an
Asterisk VoIP switch, you may be interested in the fact that ours was
hacked to make robo phishing calls to collect debit and credit card
information from unsuspecting folks.

We believe standard security precautions were in place.

According to call detail records, the destination numbers were of the
form 314-49?-???? (St Louis area cell phones).

We notified the FBI in St Louis, MO. and in Sherman, TX, earlier today
that we were receiving a large number of inbound calls/complaints.

At the time of notification to the FBI, we did not realize our switch
had been compromised.  We learned our switch was compromised about an
hour ago.

Kind regards/ldv

Larry Vaden
Internet Texoma, Inc.