Interesting People mailing list archives

Cybersecurity Review Sets Turf Battle - WSJ.com

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 2 May 2009 18:31:49 -0400

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124113159891774733.html

WASHINGTON -- President Barack Obama's cybersecurity review has ignited turf battles inside the White House, with economic adviser Lawrence Summers weighing in to prevent what he sees as a potential threat to economic growth, according to people familiar with the deliberations.

During the presidential campaign, Mr. Obama said he would appoint a cybersecurity adviser who would report directly to him on efforts to secure U.S. computer networks against spies, criminals and terrorists.

However, a White House review of cybersecurity policy has produced spirited debate on how high the adviser should rank and who should have veto power over his or her moves. A senior administration official called the debate an example of "creative tension," adding: "Far from being concerned about creative tension, I think this president and this team welcomes it...because, quite frankly, we've got to get this right."