Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Is This Foreshadowing of American Innovation?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 06:00:01 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ronald Lachman <ron () catbird com>
Date: June 24, 2009 12:28:38 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Is This Foreshadowing of American Innovation?

There was a case last year (Bilsky) that essentially disallows software patents. Although software patents have certainly been abused, a significant percentage of the patent office's work (and fees) were the result of computer software related patents. A good portion of American innovation and patents in recent decades have revolved around concepts that are no longer allowable for patenting. Patent holders and inventors (like myself) are therefore not able to patent software related patents, and not paying renewal fees.

Although investment in innovation may be down somewhat, I am under the impression that it is legal precedent that is causing most of the patent office's budget shortfall. Its worth a real discussion in the IP list, because this legal precedent is making real software and algorithmic innovation difficult to patent (RSA type patent would probably have a struggle today). My group of companies is struggling to get some truly innovative things patented (ECC / new erasure codes and the like) and its just a different world this year working with the new patent guidelines that require a more "tangible" invention than algorithms and software.

--- Different, but somewhat related topic:
Today's regulatory environment is not only more difficult for inventors, but the process of raising money is made more difficult by regulations as well. The unintended consequences of the Sarbanes Oxley act of 2002 has effectively put a $500k a year regulatory compliance tax on small public companies. Most small public companies are (were?) technology companies, and the window for taking companies public is closed at least partly because of the costly required compliance. Fewer successful executives want to serve on boards, particularly for public companies, because of the personal liability imposed by the 21st century trend in regulations that is generally less friendly to technology capitalists.