Interesting People mailing list archives

Is This Foreshadowing of American Innovation?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 11:25:06 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: bnmeeks () verizon net
Date: June 24, 2009 10:29:24 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Is This Foreshadowing of American Innovation?

Since we've been discussing patents in the last couple of days, I thought the following short article about the PTO needing more money because its revenue stream, derived from the filing of patents and trademarks, has fallen off so dramatically. What does this mean (if anything) for American innovation?

From Congress Daily
http://www.nationaljournal.com/congressdaily/cda_20090624_3058.php (If this link is unreachable because subscription is needed, I apologize in advance):

by Andrew Noyes
The Patent and Trademark Office is asking Congress to help stabilize the agency, which is facing a substantial decrease in the number of patent applications filed, Acting Director John Doll told employees in a Tuesday memo. The agency, which is funded through fees collected from its users, this week suspended overtime pay for patent examiners and this year instituted a hiring freeze. All of this has been done with an eye toward avoiding furloughs.

"We're now putting forward a number of different options to bridge any possible gaps, and we'll also be soliciting ideas from members of Congress," Doll wrote, acknowledging that in the recession, fee collection could continue to decline. With the support of Commerce Secretary Locke, the PTO is seeking additional cost reduction measures that would save an additional $20 million in FY09, he said.

[snip]