Interesting People mailing list archives

Good Read djf 2009 Shift Index through the Center for the Edge at Deloitte.

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 06:50:17 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "John Seely Brown" <jsb () johnseelybrown com>
Date: July 12, 2009 7:30:15 PM EDT
To: <dave () farber net>
Cc: "Hagel, John (US - San Jose)" <jhagel () deloitte com>
Subject: Reconnecting regarding a new report

Dave

A few weeks ago, John Hagel and I released our 2009 Shift Index through the Center for the Edge at Deloitte. I wanted to touch base with you regarding the Shift Index as I thought you might find it interesting. The Shift Index suggests the current recession is masking long-term competitive challenges for U.S. businesses that have been largely obscured by an excessive focus on short-term results. While the Shift Index covers a lot of ground, below are some findings I thought would be of particular interest to you: 1. While information technology has helped to improve labor productivity, financial performance of companies has significantly deteriorated over the period since 1965, with return on assets of all US public companies dropping by more than 75% and even the “winners” barely hanging on (pg. 92 and 95 – Shift Index Report).

2. Information technology, in the form of ever more powerful digital infrastructures, has been a key driver of intensifying competition, leading to growing economic pressure – the overall impact of information technology on firm performance has been a negative one (pg. 20 – Shift Index Report).

3. Even though information technology has helped to spawn much richer and more diverse knowledge flows on a global scale, driving us inexorably into a world of ubiquitous connectivity, companies have yet to figure out how to harness these knowledge flows to reverse the deteriorating performance trends of the past four decades. The opportunities created by information technology remain largely uncaptured by companies (pg. 41 – Shift Index Report).

The underlying questions around these findings may be of relevance to your readers. For example: 1. What can technology providers do to help enterprise customers more effectively harness the existing capabilities of information technology?

2. Given the growing importance of knowledge flows to competitive performance, what new technology innovations can help to support scalable generation of, and participation in, knowledge flows for both individuals and enterprises?

3. What can technology providers do to more effectively harness these knowledge flows to enhance their own performance?

These are also some of the questions that led us to begin developing the Shift Index two years ago. It all began on the sixth floor of the Deloitte offices in San Jose, where we began outlining a new framework on a whiteboard. We were trying to get our heads around the long-term transformation we saw happening to the global business environment as a result of digital technology and, to a lesser extent, public policy changes. We later came to call this transformation the Big Shift.

About that time we also began gathering examples and illustrations of the Big Shift as it played out in diverse arenas from open-source software to online gaming. Yet stories and theory only go so far. Wouldn't it be better, we asked ourselves, if we could somehow quantify this Big Shift, and find a way to measure the rate and magnitude of the long-term changes happening in this epochal time? And so began the pursuit of developing the 2009 Shift Index. This new set of economic indicators built for the digital world is a culmination of months of effort working with a broad array of individuals from different perspectives and experiences.

I have attached the Executive Summary to the Shift Index, as well as select exhibits and a link to the full index (http://www.deloitte.com/dtt/cda/doc/content/us_tmt_ce_ShiftIndex_0620092_1344%283%29.pdf ). There is also a Harvard Business Review article that just came out summarizing the key findings of the Shift Index and a longer working paper that explores the conceptual framework behind the Shift Index – if you are interested in these, let me know and I will send you them as well.

John and I hope you view these findings sufficiently interesting to share this information with your vast network. In addition, given that this initial launch reflects a work in progress we would love to get your feedback.

jsb

-ps a pointer to a short paper that articulates the logic of our framework might also be of interest:

http://www.johnseelybrown.com/shiftindexabstract.pdf

www.johnseelybrown.com