Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: $12 million !!!! -- really total $61 M

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 09:16:11 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Karl Auerbach <karl () cavebear com>
Date: July 2, 2009 9:40:52 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] $12 million !!!!   -- really total $61 M

From: Bob Hinden <bob.hinden () gmail com>

It would appear that ICANN spends more than 2x on travel per year than
the total cost to run the IETF.

When I was on ICANN board and when I finally got to examine the general ledger (after nearly 18 months of legal wrangling to do so) I found that ICANN had lax travel policies.

One staff member, for example, seemly being confused between "Club Med" and "ICANN", used ICANN's money to travel roughly 5 times around the world in one year, stopping at high season at lush places like Davos.

One minor event in Kenya was attended by something like a half dozen ICANN staffers and board members.

ICANN paid for lavish travel expenses for the law firm that had created ICANN (and who remains among ICANN's largest yearly creditors.)

That was then.

I have heard that things have have improved.

However, ICANN still remains a traveling circus. Its meeting in Mexico City had over 1100 people and an uncountable number of special events (many paid for by companies who have, or who aspire to have, relations with ICANN.)

As for ICANN's staff - there are a lot of 'em. Many are pretty good. Some are amazingly good. Many work their tails off. And many seem to regard the travel as a burden rather than a boon. On an individual basis, they are a fine group. As a collection, they are expensive to transport, house, and feed.

The "fellowship" program that ICANN uses to pay for certain attendees is viewed by some as a well designed program, by others as a not-so- subtle inducement to build support for ICANN among certain groups of people.

The point of this is that while ICANN has matured - at least these days it has written employee policies - it still suffers from rampant mission growth and overheated elaboration of its org chart.

And what has all this expensive sound and fury produced? Not really very much. One would have a hard time coming up with concrete evidence of how the process of turning DNS query packets into DNS reply packets has become more reliable, more efficient, more secure, or more accurate than it was before there was an ICANN.

                --karl--