Interesting People mailing list archives

$12 million !!!! -- really total $61 M

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 19:52:23 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Hinden <bob.hinden () gmail com>
Date: July 2, 2009 6:12:16 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Bob Hinden <bob.hinden () gmail com>, Richard Shockey <richard () shockey us >
Subject: Re: [IP] $12 million !!!!   -- really total $61 M

Dave,

For IP, if you wish.

What Richard said is correct. Speaking as the IETF Administrative Oversight Committee (IAOC) chair, the IETF annual budget runs about $5M year, with attendance fees and sponsorships paying for about 2/3 of that and the ISOC paying for the remainder. Lots of detail at:

 http://iaoc.ietf.org/budget.html

It would appear that ICANN spends more than 2x on travel per year than the total cost to run the IETF.

Bob