Interesting People mailing list archives

Nanoscale 'Levitation' Discovery Could Lead to Better Nanomachines

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 12:14:24 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: dewayne () warpspeed com (Dewayne Hendricks)
Date: January 9, 2009 6:49:53 PM EST
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <xyzzy () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] Nanoscale 'Levitation' Discovery Could Lead to Better Nanomachines

Nanoscale 'Levitation' Discovery Could Lead to Better Nanomachines
<http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/science/jan-june09/nano_01-09.html>

By exploiting a quantum mechanical quirk, a team of researchers has discovered how to levitate a tiny object. The finding sounds magical, but it could have an important practical application -- helping scientists build better nanoscale machines.

"We could use this as a quantum mechanical lubricant," says Harvard physicist Federico Capasso, one of the authors of a paper published this week in the journal Nature.

The new research uses a force first described by the Dutch physicist Hendrik Casimir in 1948. Casimir predicted that due to quantum energy fluctuations, two metal plates placed very close together -- within nanometers of each other -- would attract one another.

Casimir's prediction was borne out in lab experiments, but until recently was interesting only to theoretical physicists. In recent years, however, as scientists have begun to work toward building nanoscale machines, they've realized that the Casimir force could cause practical problems -- making the tiny parts of those machines stick together and gumming up the works.

Capasso, in fact, first became interested in the problem when working at Bell Labs in the 1990s, building micro electromechanical systems (MEMS), the technology used in airbag sensors, among other things.

"We knew that if we kept scaling down the dimensions, from micrometer to nanometer, at some point these surfaces could stick to each other because of Casimir attraction," Capasso says.

Since the 1960s, though, researchers also realized that theoretically, if the air between the plates were replaced by the right material, the Casimir force would cause the materials to repel one another rather than attract. However, because the forces at work were so tiny, they were never able demonstrate the repulsive Casimir force in the lab.

[snip]
RSS Feed: <http://www.warpspeed.com/wordpress>