Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: More Silliness: Congressman Wants to Ban "Silent" Cell Phone Cameras

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 13:50:11 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall <joehall () gmail com>
Date: January 29, 2009 1:11:54 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Subject: Re: [IP] More Silliness: Congressman Wants to Ban "Silent" Cell Phone Cameras

I spent some time the other day trying to track down exactly how South
Korea and Japan instituted requirements that cell phones make a
shutter noise.  All I could find was this (cited in an ITU report on
privacy) that claims a South Korean telecom agency made some sort of
requirement that a click sounds between 60-68db must be triggered by
taking a picture:

* 'Ubiquitous' Technology Gives Rise to Ubiquitous Privacy Concerns.
(2004, September 5). The Chosun Ilbo. Retrieved January 28, 2009, from
http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/news/200409/200409050019.html.

There are also a lot of reports that the Japanese iPhone is a distinct
model (not sure if hardware, software or both) in order to meet these
requirements.

I suspect I was unsuccessful largely because I can't read or speak
either of the languages.  If anyone has pointers to descriptions of
how Japan and South Korea have regulated this, I'd appreciate a note.
best, Joe