Interesting People mailing list archives

One Laptop Per Child: What Went Wrong

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 09:20:27 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: dewayne () warpspeed com (Dewayne Hendricks)
Date: January 21, 2009 5:57:53 PM EST
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <xyzzy () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] One Laptop Per Child: What Went Wrong

One Laptop Per Child: What Went Wrong
January 19th, 2009
by Jon Evans
<http://www.walrusmagazine.com/blogs/2009/01/19/one-laptop-per-child-what-went-wrong/ > In January 2005, at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, Nicholas Negroponte announced the One Laptop Per Child project, with the stated goal of giving every poor child in the world a “rugged, low- cost, low-power, connected laptop with content and software designed for collaborative, joyful, self-empowered learning.”

Last week OLPC laid off half of its staff. Sales of its XO Laptop to developing nations are far, far below initial projections in the millions; in the third quarter of 2008 it shipped a mere 130,000 units, a trivial 2.3% of the world’s low-cost, small-screen “netbook” laptops. Meanwhile, the income from their 2008 “Give One Get One Free” drive dropped 93% from 2007. What went wrong? Any number of things, including bad timing, production delays, poor management, and superior competition. But if you ask me – and I feel bad writing this, given all the hard work and good intentions that went into One Laptop Per Child – its fundamental problems are twofold:

        • It was a bad idea to begin with.
        • The XO laptop is a piece of crap.
The best thing about the XO is its case: the pebbled exterior, built- in handle, and dust/water resistance (which I didn’t test) are stylish and useful. The problems begin when you open it up. It’s slow. On occasion the cursor freezes or submarines. The screen and keyboard are tiny even for a netbook. Even its vaunted connectivity is badly flawed: my XO completely failed to connect to encrypted Wi-Fi networks that worked with both my other laptops. When you do connect, its Web browser fails to show paragraph breaks on Wikipedia pages, making the world’s greatest collection of free information hard to read – on a laptop allegedly designed for education!

[snip]RSS Feed: <http://www.warpspeed.com/wordpress>