Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: $Multi-billion Broadband stimulus decisions imminent

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 02:41:15 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lee W McKnight <lmcknigh () syr edu>
Date: January 15, 2009 11:06:50 AM EST
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: [IP] Re: $Multi-billion Broadband stimulus decisions imminent

Hi Dave,

For IP if you wish:

Techies/outside the beltway folks are deluding themselves: all your knowledge and expertise juat ain;t that relevant in the halls of power.
That's why you get little respect & few posts of power in DC.

It's about laws and policies, and folks with law degrees rule.

Economists get some respect since it's also about massive amounts of money.

But tech expertise? Not worth that many Dirksens. Cause it doesn't help decipher legal fineprint.

Lee

PS: I do agree that a political/economic system with more respect for technical expertise would be better. But that's not this Congress, with maybe a handful of credintialled engineers among the 535 Congressmen & Senators. So IPers should work first on getting themselves elected, then ethey can change the rules of the game. Like bringing back the Office of Technology Assessment - Newt's one accomplishment was to cut tech input to Congress. Great idea - now look what a mess we got.