Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: How the Whitehouse website came to be

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 11:00:03 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "charles.brownstein" <charles.brownstein () verizon net>
Date: January 21, 2009 10:46:33 AM EST
To: "dave () farber net" <dave () farber net>
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] How the Whitehouse website came to be

Web presence for federal agencies was a cornerstone of "reinventing government with information technology" - an effort I co-chaired for Al Gore's National Performance Review in the first year of the Clinton administration. The case was also made for ubiquitous agency email, Internet service delivery and a host of other IT applications.

So easy to forget there were many naysayers who expected little from the upstart technology, the market for home computers was tiny, and the bukl of the net belonged to the research cmmunity and it's subsidized user community.

Sent from my iPhone
571 217 5432