Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Republicans propose data retention laws targeting ISPs, home WiFi users

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 09:24:31 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David S. Isenberg (isen)" <isen () isen com>
Date: February 20, 2009 8:34:30 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Republicans propose data retention laws targeting ISPs, home WiFi users

Dave,

If we had IPv6, we wouldn't need no stinking
temporary addresses, because IPv6 has approximately
enough permanent addresses for every atom in the
universe. Then "they" would know which IP address
did which communication, and we'd get a symmetrical
Internet where the distinction between client and
server would be moot. Not sure if this tradeoff
between safety and liberty is worth it, I'm just
saying that in this case we get a little liberty
*back* in the trade too.

David I
203-661-4798 (main number, follows me everywhere)
888-isen.com (toll free)
508-548-5924 (Woods Hole)
AIM, Skype, Y!IM: david_isenberg
http://isen.com/blog