Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Senate Finance Committee's tax credits for broadband

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 13:56:30 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: February 5, 2009 12:20:24 PM EST
To: Joshua Tinnin <krinklyfig () gmail com>
Cc: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: BOY DO I AGREE WITH DAVID djf Senate Finance Committee's tax credits for broadband

Here's a simple idea that would get some entrepreneurial juices flowing, because it would create a substantial greenfield opportunity around building out a free-and-open connectivity platform.

pass a bill such that anyone who provides

1) an open-to-all WiFi on outdoor 5GHz access point that provides direct routing of IPv6 packets onto the public Internet, where
2) encrypted packets get "most favored nation" priority and
3) the capacity is divided evenly among the active directly connected ethernet adapters,

will be exempt from regulation on content, antenna location, ..., and may use any local high speed fiber or cable ISP to tunnel that traffic to and from the IPv6 backbone.

There's a reason for the specific technical choices, which will be apparent to many of those who understand the challenges to open, free connectivity being created by the "mules" or "trolls" who want to stand in the way of universal connectivity. I don't think it's helpful to dive into them in detail. They are just engineering judgements about what would stimulate capital formation in the form of sweat equity by creative entrpreneurs.

Note: I don't claim it is perfect, and I don't claim that it will solve world hunger or end the economic crisis. It will outrage many - Dave knows who.