Interesting People mailing list archives

Snowe, Warner Announce Bill to Boost Technical Resources for FCC

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 15:55:32 -0500

 I had a small part in helping crystallize this bill with my endless speeches and the wording to allow CS people to be
included. I STRONGLY support the bill and give full  support to Senators Snow and Warner. I also encourage the House to
adopt such a companion Bill.

Dave

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                      CONTACT:  Julia Wanzco (Snowe)
December 8, 2009                                                                                   202.224.1304
Kevin Hall (Warner)
202.224.2425

Snowe, Warner Announce Bill to
Boost Technical Resources for FCC

WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Senators Olympia J. Snowe (R-Maine) and Mark Warner (D-Va.) today announced bipartisan
legislation to bolster access to technical resources for the Commissioners of the Federal Communications Commission
(FCC). The Snowe-Warner initiative will update current law to allow each Commissioner to hire an additional staff
member—an electrical engineer or computer scientist—to provide in-depth technical consultation.

“Given the rapid advancement of technologies and innovation within the telecommunications industry, it is essential
that Commissioners have in-house technical expertise to make well informed regulatory decisions,” said Senator Snowe, a
senior member of the Senate Commerce, Science, and Transportation Committee, which has jurisdiction over the
legislation.  “This legislation is a common-sense initiative that will guarantee each Commissioner has a technical
expert on staff to provide detailed analysis on some of the most cutting-edge issues affecting the communications
industry today.”

“Easing restrictions on the number of experts a commissioner can hire will provide the FCC with more tools and
information it needs to decisions,” said Senator Warner.  “This will give commissioners access to the best information
possible, from all relevant disciplines, and in a timely manner – which is critical in making well-informed decisions.”

Under current law, each Commissioner is permitted to appoint only three professional assistants and a secretary.
Historically, these professional assistants have been legal advisors covering the wireline, wireless, and cable/media
sectors.  The Snowe-Warner bill complements this structure by ensuring Commissioners have access to expertise involving
the technical aspect of the issues, which is fundamental to developing sound regulatory policy related to the nation’s
communications industry.
###