Interesting People mailing list archives

re: A Ridiculous Failure of Critical Infrastructure

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 19:51:51 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rick Adams <Rick.Adams () Cello Net>
Date: December 2, 2009 7:26:01 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] A Ridiculous Failure of Critical Infrastructure

UUNET's first commercial TCP/IP service over leased lines was running in November 1988. AUP (Appropriate Use Policy) compliant traffic was exchanged with NSFNET. Non-AUP compliant traffic was not.
Much of Europe's email came over this link for years.

UUNET and PSINet both started actively selling TCP/IP in January 1990.

I don't understand the reference to "Why 1991? That's when NSFNet modified its Acceptable Use Policy
to permit commercial TCP/IP services to interconnect with NSFNet".

As I remember, NSF cared if the entity abided by the AUP, not the legal status of the corporate entity or its service provider.

UUNET was certainly exchanging packets between NSFNET and AUP compliant research groups in 1988 (with the explicit approval of Steve Wolff. His guideline was "is it to support research and scholarly pursuits?" but he personally approved each organization.)

It really ramped up in 1989 and UUNET was frequently asking NSF to clarify what was and wasn't appropriate use. A key question in 1989 was if UUNET could gateway email between CompuServe and the NSFNET.

I believe that in early 1990 NSF stopped explicitly approving each US network, but continued closely monitoring international connections (I don't want to put words into Steve Wolff's mouth) Export control issues were still a concern.

In March 1991, NSFNET began permitting "Eastern Bloc" countries (Soviet Union, Hungary and Czechoslovakia as they were know at the time) to connect to the NSFNET