Interesting People mailing list archives

More on: Expert witness claiming that Google rankings rely on keyword meta tags

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 19:13:55 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Paul Levy <plevy () citizen org>
Date: December 2, 2009 1:02:02 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: More on: Expert witness claiming that Google rankings rely on keyword meta tags

A few weeks ago, you were so kind as to post my request for input from list members about an affidavit from a computer expert, Frank Farance, who claimed that Google relies on leyword meta tags in computing search rankings, even though Google itself says that it does not rely on them. The affidavit was submitted in support of a trademark suit by Jenzabar, Inc., against a group of documentary filmmakers whose web site includes a page containing unflattering statements about Jenzabar and its founder; the page has keyword meta tags that include Jenzabar's name.

The posting brought in several useful comments, both onlist and privately. As I had hoped, some of the comments related to the substance of the affidavit, and some private comments provided insights both about Jenzabar and about Farance himself.

The comments helped us prepare our own analysis of the flaws in the affidavit, which has now been submitted. It is available at http://www.citizen.org/litigation/forms/cases/CaseDetails.cfm?cID=575 , in case list members are interested.

Paul Alan Levy
Public Citizen Litigation Group
1600 - 20th Street, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20009