Interesting People mailing list archives

re A Ridiculous Failure of Critical Infrastructure

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 13:47:58 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Steve Goldstein <steve.goldstein () cox net>
Date: December 2, 2009 1:30:57 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Steve Goldstein <steve.goldstein () cox net>, ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] A Ridiculous Failure of Critical Infrastructure

I was at NSF-CISE-DNCRI during those times. I kept a plot of the "size" of the various parts of the Internet, viz. the "commercial" (I think it included .com and .org, and I am not sure about .net) vs. the "non-commercial" (total of .edu, .mil, and .gov). By just about any measure (number of registrations, traffic flow, size of pipes), the non-commercial component kept on growing almost linearly (my recollection), while the commercial component grew rather slowly in the first few years of the 1990's, crossed the non-commercial component in 1994, and then shot up much like a parabola (dare I say exponentially? I never actually fit an equation to the curve...just eyeballed it) and thoroughly eclipsed the non-commercial within a few years. I am pretty sure that I did not include non-US domains in those plots. But, I think that the main point is still valid: 1994 was the "crossover" year, and from then on the Internet had commercialized. RIPE NCC actually published monthly statistics of registrations, at least during the first half of the 1990's. They might still have those numbers lying around if anybody wants to look.

Next, NSF did not "give its own backbone to private industry." What happened was that (1) the needs of the research and academic community that the NSFnet backbone served outgrew NSF's ability to pay for sufficient capacity, and (2) commercial ISPs complained to Congress that the Government (NSF) was unfairly taking away their potential customers by serving the R&A community. So, the decision was made to go on subsidizing connections to commercial backbones as long as the chosen backbones met up at at least three designated exchange points so that all supported institutions could reach all the others by virtue of traffic exchanges (NAPs, or network access points). This gave an early boost to the concept of peering, though the NAPs were not the only peering points.

In about the same time frame, NSF solicited bids for a very high speed backbone network *service* (or vBNS), note the emphasis on "service." This was to be a 45 Mbps backbone service, which could be implemented in such a way that the the purveyor could also sell services to other customers. And, this was because NSF could not afford to pay for its own 45 Mbps backbone. But, the vBNS was not for normal Internet traffic, but for support of actual research projects requiring more than every day uses such as e-mail and browsing. The vBNS was furnished by a new company that was set up for that purpose with Al Weiss, a former IBM VP as its CEO, ANS (which I later realized was SNA spelled backwards...but I digress). And, we set up STARTAP, an international high-performance R&A exchange point in Chicago so that the newly formed high-performance networks of other countries could exchange traffic with each other on a bi-lateral (no US AUP) agreement basis.

And, again, in about the same time frame as the vBNS (I am typing this all from memory, and my memory for dates is lousy), the universities were dissatisfied with the service that they were getting from the commercial ISPs (underprovisioning, congestion), so Internet2 was birthed as a private membership organization to acquire a private university backbone. Internet2 lives on, as does National Lambda Rail (NLR), a very high performance private backbone network that serves a customer base similar to and overlapping with that of Internet2. Readers will recall the notice that Glenn Ricart, who originally headed up one of the original NSFnet regional networks, SURAnet, is the newly appointed CEO of NLR.

And, other U.S. Governmental research networks are active, e.g.. Energy's ESnet and (still alive?) NASA Science Network (NSN). And, the STARTAP morphed into STARlight, an international lightwave exchange point located on the lakefront campus of Northwestern University in Chicago. STARlight is but one of several international lightwave exchange points used by international R&A networks that comprise the Global Lambda Integrated Facility (GLIF), a cooperative that serves computationally intensive research needs globally. And, much to my dismay, several of the GLIF member countries (NL, KR, CA, JP, ...) have left the US in the dust when it comes to advanced infrastructure provisioning. The US has a lot of catching up to do.

Whew, I started out to type a few sentences, and I ran off at the fingers. Hope that what I wrote is reasonably accurate, and that I have not bored you.

--Steve

Let's be clear about three things:

First, by the time the NSF walked away from the Internet the network had a very decentralized operational structure. Even during the research days, the NSF only managed the backbone, while regional cooperatives managed the regional networks, and thousands of