Interesting People mailing list archives

Security screening today from MUC and LHR

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 21:51:43 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Jonathan B Spira" <jspira () basex com>
Date: December 29, 2009 9:44:17 PM EST
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Security screening today from MUC and LHR

Just back as of one hour ago:  MUC-LHR-JFK.  No real change at MUC except for being asked to turn the camera (DSLR) on
and the security agent looked through the viewfinder (not sure what that proves).

The initial security checkpoint at LHR was normal.  No shoe screening (it seems that LHR every so often has a different
approach to shoes, from ignoring them to a separate shoe screening machine).

At the gate at LHR, there was probably a 45-minute to an hour back-up as everyone was being patted down and carry-on
bags were being inspected.

The inspection itself was curious.  The inspectors were about 75% thorough (25% is a big gap) and checked 75% of the
compartments of my bag.  The inspector wanted me to open the umbrella handle of my compact travel umbrella but when I
told him I would have to actually open the umbrella, he said to forget about it.

Despite the delays, we made up almost all of the time in the air and were only 10 minutes late into JFK.

That in itself was remarkable, at least to me personally, as it had taken me 48 hours to GET to Munich 10 days ago
thanks to the blizzard (an account of this is here for those interested - Blizzard Business Travel: JFK to Munich in 48
Hours )

/s/ Jonathan