Interesting People mailing list archives

Two views of Federal CIO Vivek Kundra

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 14:54:13 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Larry Press <lpress () csudh edu>
Date: December 29, 2009 2:22:41 PM EST
To: "dave () farber net" <dave () farber net>
Subject: Two views of Federal CIO Vivek Kundra

Dave -- for IP if relevant.

1.  Information Week has chosen Vivek Kundra as CIO of the Year:

http://www.informationweek.com/news/government/leadership/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=222002611

The job of opening the government’s databases to the public— complicated by the need to ensure security, privacy, confidentiality , and data quality—is huge, and Kundra will be the first to admit th at most of the work lies ahead. In fact, that’s true for everything on his plate: reducing the number of federal data centers, transitio ning government agencies to cloud services, bolstering cybersecurity , improving IT project performance, and engaging the public over the Web.

With such a long, unfinished to-do list, you might say that we’re pr emature in naming Kundra InformationWeek’s Chief of the Year. But th at’s where we landed, and here’s why: The federal CIO, now nine months into the job, has demonstrated a compelling vision for overha uling the government’s lumbering IT operations (with 71,000 federal IT workers and more than 10,000 IT systems), and his progress is so far impressive.

2. Tech Journalist John Dvorak has questioned Kundra's background and qualifications for the position:

http://www.dvorak.org/blog/2009/08/12/special-report-is-us-chief-information-officer-cio-vivek-kundra-a-phony/