Interesting People mailing list archives

FCC Brings On "Distinguished Scholar in Residence" shakes up the broadcasters...

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 17:11:12 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Tim Pozar <pozar () lns com>
Date: December 28, 2009 4:47:32 PM EST
To: dave () farber net, ip <ip () v2 listbox com>, Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com > Subject: FCC Brings On "Distinguished Scholar in Residence" shakes up the broadcasters...

Not sure if folks saw this announcement:

http://legaltimes.typepad.com/blt/2009/12/fcc-distinguished-scholar-in-residence-1.html

   December 10, 2009
   FCC Brings On "Distinguished Scholar in Residence"

   A Duke University law professor will begin a new job next week
   as the first "Distinguished Scholar in Residence" at the Federal
Communications Commission.

   First amendment and telecommunications scholar Stuart Benjamin,
   the Douglas B. Maggs Chair in Law, is taking a leave of absence
   from his teaching position to fill the new post created by FCC
   Chairman Julius Genachowski. Benjamin will work in the Office of
   Strategic Planning and will focus on spectrum reform, First
   Amendment issues and long-term strategy. [...]

Seems that Mr. Benjamin wrote a paper called "Roasting the Pig to Burn
Down the House: A Modest Proposal"
<http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1284365>  that is
described in the abstract as:

   This essay addresses the question whether one should support
   regulatory proposals that one believes are, standing alone, bad
   public policy in the hope that they will do such harm that they
   will ultimately produce (likely unintended) good results. For
   instance, one may regard a set of proposed regulations as
   foolish and likely to hobble the industry regulated, but perhaps
   desirable if one believes that we would be better off without
   that industry. I argue that television broadcasting is such an
   industry, and thus that we should support new regulations that
   will make broadcasting unprofitable, to hasten its demise. But
   it cannot be just any costly regulation: if a regulation would
   tend to entrench broadcasting's place on the airwaves, then the
   regulation will not help to free up the spectrum and should be
   avoided. Ideal regulations for this purpose are probably those
   that are pure dead-weight loss - regulations that cost
   broadcasters significant amounts of money but have no impact on
   their behavior.

   Am I serious in writing all this? Not entirely, but mostly. I do
   think that society would benefit if the wireless frequencies
   currently devoted to broadcast could be used for other services,
   and the first-best ways of achieving that goal may not be
   realistic. I am proposing a second-best - a fairly cynical
   second-best, but a second-best all the same. I would prefer not
   to go down this path, but if that is the only way to hasten the
   shriveling of television broadcasting's spectrum usage, then it
   is probably a path worth taking.

Needless to say the Broadcasters are taking note and as Radio/TV
Business Report wrote:

   RBR-TVBR observation: We have to believe that a regulatory
   battle of this magnitude will at the very least consume a great
   deal of time. But a lot of forces seem to be lining up behind
   spectrum reallocation – the time to mount a stiff defense is
   now. <http://www.rbr.com/tv-cable/19272.html>

As someone that has been in the broadcast industry since 1974 and
watched it crumble with the Telecom Act of 1996, I am personally am very happy to see someone with this mind set coming into the FCC to shake up
the current "license as real estate" and "every thing depends on the
stock price going up" mindset that broadcasters have.  The "Public
Service" of radio and TV stations had the last nail driven into its
coffin with the Telecom act of '96.  Reacting to how the FCC destroyed
the standard broadcast bands has been too long in coming.

Tim