Interesting People mailing list archives

Do Read re Revised Screening Policies

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 09:25:32 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Michael Kende <Michael.Kende () analysysmason com>
Date: December 28, 2009 6:23:34 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] Revised Screening Policies

Hi Dave, the old and potential new security measures have come in for a lot of criticism over the past few days at the hands of the experts of IP - as a frequent traveler myself I am certainly not looking forward to new measures, particularly if they are not effective. But I wondered if the list could address itself to a more constructive question - what are the best security measures, and more fundamentally what objectives should they address? To me, there are a number of issues to address; deterence, prevention, reassurance, ability to apply, comfort, etc. What are the most effective measures for securing planes - before the flight, at the airport, and in the air? What is the correct trade-off between security and cost? Security and comfort? Is it possible to deter the professionals, and if not what are the implications? What is reasonable to ask of passengers to make the system effective and easy to implement?

Thanks in advance,

Michael