Interesting People mailing list archives

good read China Closes Down The Internet

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2009 19:54:49 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: James Seng <james () seng sg>
Date: December 25, 2009 7:44:56 PM EST
To: dave <dave () farber net>
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] China Closes Down The Internet

I am somewhat involved but I am in no way a spokeman for MIIT. But this article is full of misinformation that it is not even funny so let me fill in some gaps.

1. First, the title "China Closes Down the Internet" is laughable as I have just click on the link provided below and I can say I am reading it just fine from Beijing.

Sure, I am still having difficulties in accessing Facebook, Youtube, Twitter but that has been the norm since early Apr this year.

2. The background story is on 9th Dec, CCTV runs a documentary about the domain name industry and its practices, particularly focuses on the negative aspect of it. The focus is the point that porn website operators hides behind a long list of domain names, where one get shutdown and immediate another spring up. They documentary concluded that the relevant government agency is not doing enough to stop all these bad practices with its lax rules.

The document video is available at http://v.blog.sohu.com/u/vw/3865377
失控的域名 ("Lost Control of the Domain")

There are even more complex background story behind why CCTV runs the shows but I don't go there here

3. The result is that CNNIC suspended and penalized 3 China registrars who are found to practice what the CCTV documentary on 11th Dec. Unfortunately, this has not enough and the pressure keep mounting on MIIT and CNNIC to do more.

http://news.ccw.com.cn/internet/htm2009/20091211_837696.shtml

4. On 14th Dec, CNNIC issued a statement that they will no longer accept registrations from individuals. Furthermore, companies who wants to do domain names have to send in documentations of the company incorporation.

http://media.ifeng.com/news/newmedia/web/ 200912/1214_4266_1473458.shtml

5. The 16th, MIIT called for a press conference.

http://www.miit.gov.cn/n11293472/n11293832/n11293907/n11368223/12894996.html

Summary
(a) They will developed a blacklist of domains (b) They will tighten control on domain name registrations and not allowing individuals to registrar domain names (c) They will tighten the control over ICP regime.

6. The "blacklist" of domain is where Gordon going really off the mark:

"Today, Beijing blocks a multitude of sites, in effect creating a blacklist. Under the new system, there will be a "whitelist": only registered sites will be accessible inside the country."

There is a huge difference between a blacklist and whitelist and lumping them as one is just trying to justifying his conclusion that "China will no longer have an Internet".

Blacklist is nothing new in China - I already cannot access Facebook, Youtube or Twitter since early this years. Over the years, many websites landed in the blacklist one way or another for different reasons.

8. The ICP regime, where all website in China, have to be registered with MIIT, is nothing new. It has been in place for many years; it is impossible to get web hosting in China without a ICP registrations and MIIT regularly shutdown websites that did not have ICP registrations.

(All website in China has a ICP number at the bottom : See http://www.baidu.com/ and then you will find something like 京ICP证030173号)

9. The tightening of domain name registration is what has change - effectively reverting back to prior 2003 where all domain names under .CN requires all sort of documentations and verification process.

10. There is still constant pressure for MIIT and CNNIC to do more, so I think there would be even further tightening of control. A lot of ideas has been thrown around but no one can say with certainty what other policy will be set in place.

But one thing I can say with certainty : This would not end with .CN and will go further to .COM and other gTLDs.

-James Seng