Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Palm Pre [openly and brazenly] reporting GPS locations, app usage to Palm?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 17:44:06 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ethan Ackerman <eackerma () u washington edu>
Date: August 12, 2009 5:26:07 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Palm Pre [openly and brazenly] reporting GPS locations, app usage to Palm?

Greetings Dave, Lauren

I don't think you can call it "surreptitious" - Palm's privacy policy
comes right out and unequivocally says they collect and use it.
http://www.palm.com/us/company/privacy.html

"If you use services we provide through your Palm mobile device, we
will collect information relevant to providing the services and as you
designate. For example:
Location Based Services. When you use location based services, we will
collect, transmit, maintain, process, and use your location and usage
data (including both real time geographic information and information
that can be used to approximate location) in order to provide location
based and related services, and to enhance your device experience. "

This is just another failing of the location privacy regime in the
U.S.  Nearly the only entity who CAN'T collect and disclose the
location information is the actual phone service carrier - the
communications act at 47 USC 222 mostly restricts their
reuse/disclosure of location information.

The real interesting question in all this is, where does the Palm app.
get the location information from?  If the application gets any data
from the carrier (i.e. from a tower) - that's pretty clearly a
violation of the law by the carrier.
The words "that can be used to approximate location" in the privacy
policy sound to me a lot like tower-based triangulation. Maybe
(hopefully?) Palm gets the information directly from the on board gps
chip?

-Ethan