Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Professor Main Target of Assault on Twitter - NYTimes.com *PLEASE ANONYMIZE*

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 11:04:14 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

Date: August 9, 2009 12:57:57 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Professor Main Target of Assault on Twitter - NYTimes.com *PLEASE ANONYMIZE*

*PLEASE ANONYMIZE*

Dave,

As a designer of ISP networks, and with extensive experience in the ISP field, this is a common complaint I hear from the 99.9% (literally) of Internet users who do not understand how the individual networks making up the Internet inter-operate. The road to hell is paved with good intentions (sometimes). Sure, we could create standards which would prevent a large scale DoS of this nature from being directed at a single Internet user -- assuming the reports are actually accurate, and I'm not convinced those are -- but doing so will come at the expense of every Internet user's privacy. Deep packet inspection combined with a sharing of ALL public Internet databases would probably be the first required step in such a direction, to fix this "infrastructure problem". Of course, when seen through the lens of the Great Chinese Firewall, and its' sequel, the Great Australian Firewall, it is obvious that the first organizations to jump on board will be governments, democratic or otherwise. The amount of resources (human, financial, technical) would undoubtedly be a wonderful boon to the global economy, and I for one, would profit substantially from it. But perhaps a question should be posed to the individual below: Would you be willing to be eliminated from the Internet entirely, on whatever basis is deemed justified by people you have and will never meet?

PS- This curious social networking DoS (after all, it wasn't just Twitter that was affected, but any Web 2.0 site that was tied into it) was preceded the day before by a short term increase in global internet traffic, seen by Internet exchanges around the world. It made a lot of folks like me wonder.