Interesting People mailing list archives

Hormel objects to use of SPAM

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 19:27:59 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Ronald J Riley \(RJR\)" <rjr () rjriley com>
Date: August 24, 2009 9:25:48 PM EDT
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: Hormel objects to use of SPAM

Dave, for IP.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/perlow/?p=10971&tag=nl.e550

Is an interesting blog post about Hormel objecting to the use of the term SPAM and requesting that only lower case be used. Beyond that, as I understand the law use of the term for email is not confusing and there is no profit involved so it seems that they really have no leg to stand on.

The letter is polite and I understand Hormel’s concerns but it seems to me that this is too late. I do think that Hormel deserves credit for not sending a nasty-gram but also should be chided for an attempt to mislead people that the use for unsolicited email somehow violates their trademark.

Ronald J. Riley,

I am speaking only on my own behalf.
Affiliations:
President - www.PIAUSA.org - RJR act PIAUSA.org
Executive Director - www.InventorEd.org - RJR at InvEd.org
Senior Fellow - www.PatentPolicy.org
President - Alliance for American Innovation
Caretaker of Intellectual Property Creators on behalf of deceased founder Paul Heckel
Washington, DC
Direct (810) 597-0194 / (202) 318-1595 - 9 am to 8 pm EST.