Interesting People mailing list archives

Setting the price of a free press

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 10:57:50 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Robert Alberti <alberti () sanction net>
Date: August 23, 2009 9:41:55 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Setting the price of a free press

Marcy Wheeler (handle: emptywheel) posted this carefully thought out
post mortem of one example of egregious Beltway journalism:
http://emptywheel.firedoglake.com/2009/08/22/mark-ambinders-cave/
It's well worth reviewing in light of the discussion of the future of
journalism.

In my view, in order for journalism in America to have any future
whatsoever, existing anti-trust laws need to be leveraged against the
megacorporations that have turned mainstream news into the corporate
communications arm of their parent companies.

Today being Sunday, the morning airwaves will feature news and politics
talking heads, all of whom are carrying water for corporate
establishment interests.  In today's case, I hazard a guess that we will
hear the corporate line that public option health care reform is dead in
the water, and with it the entire Obama administration.  Because that's
what the corporations, particularly the health care organizations that
have boardmembers on every major network except CBS, want the population
to believe. The truth, that according to polls 72% of the population
want a public health care option*, will be ignored for the fabricated
reality that the corporate communications divisions want us to accept.

-Bob Alberti

*
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/06/19/opinion/polls/main5098517.shtml