Interesting People mailing list archives

QR Codes in Japan

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 18:20:57 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "j. eric townsend" <jet () flatline net>
Date: August 2, 2009 5:31:05 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] QR Codes

When I was in Tokyo earlier this year, there were QR codes everywhere, from ads for apartments to rave fliers posted on construction sites. Even ads in magazines have QR codes for website URLs and other contact information. I even have a flyer handed to me for what I suspect was a "massage parlour" that had not only the physical measurements of the employees, and their likes and dislikes, but a QR code I could use to contact them.

I suspect that QR codes are not used as much here in the US due to the sorry state of our cellular networking infrastructure and relatively primitive mobile phones.

--
J. Eric Townsend, IDSA
Designer, Fabricator, Hacker