Interesting People mailing list archives

QR Codes

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 17:00:11 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bob Frankston" <BobF () Frankston com>
Date: August 2, 2009 11:51:57 AM EDT
Subject: QR Codes

The article cited below highlights the problems with using the DNS – searching is indeed more effective. Making humans type URLs is out odds with making them rich (or deep) links. The article focuses on the marketer’s perspective – but then it’s easy to view the Internet is merely a marketer’s paradise.

QR codes are a lot more than just URL replacements. A good example of using QR codes is http://alk.com/copilot/android/ which displays codes for purchasing the app. When will we see the first TV add with QR codes?

The QR codes can be up to 4000 characters (if you are willing to use large ones). They disintermediate the companies who are attempting to make money by merely being in the middle of transactions. So much for the “mobile” companies that though they had another bonanza like SMS and ring codes in which they could make money by merely squatting in the middle. Unlike UPC and many other bar codes you don’t need a third party to translate the code. (OK, if you use a URL you do need that darn DNS).

QR Codes originated in Japan but what is making them more interesting in the US are indeed the iPhone and Android apps. What’s nice is that unlike other schemes they don’t have to be “phones” – you don’t need to hook into the byzantine cellular infrastructure.

Even better is having a library so you can make it part of other apps and not just for URLs. I downloaded an open source QR Code library (from http://www.codeproject.com) and am experimenting with generating my own codes including one that’s on the back of my business card (that’s the advantage of printing my own).

The idea isn't exactly new -- twenty years ago Xerox started putting bar codes on documents and we've had a number of schemes but it had to await more open technologies. What makes these codes very interesting is that they are visible – no need to align IR beams or setup Bluetooth relationships or even connect via radios and no need for third parties to monetize the translations.

Separately I lament the use of short URLs since it creates a brittle dependency on third parties. The SMS restrictions internalized in twitter are a large part of the problem. It’s bad enough that sites go down but now we have these third parties sitting in the middle making the web even more unlikely to unravel (and I do wonder what those sites do with all the valuable knowledge that passes through them). Too bad HTML Lite (http://www.frankston.com/?name=HTMLLite) has been slow to happen -- too many people are still stuck with faux teletypes that chop URLs and mail readers that don’t unchop them.