Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: TSA demands to know source of traveler's cash

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2009 11:51:12 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Sheryl Coe - Reportica <web () reportica net>
Date: April 4, 2009 8:49:58 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: TSA demands to know source of traveler's cash

You aren't familiar with our own Judge Napalotano! Author of many popular books on the Constitution and a native of New Jersey. I don't agree with all of his positions, but he's honest. Not a newcomer to caring about the constitution, but from a libertarian perspective. (In other words, the man who will give Bush AND Obama a hard time.) Look him up at Amazon.com including his past books such as Constitutional Chaos: What Happens When the Government Breaks its Own Laws. I don't agree with him on many issues, but I always listen to his arguments. Unfortunately, he makes the mistake often of acting as an mere electoral spoiler, pulling votes of those dissatisified to third parties.

You are surprised Napolotano is on Fox? I myself am always suprised at people who see Fox News as having a principled stance. Which brings me to my second reason for posting...

Fox News doesn't have opinions. They have profits, ratings and stakeholders who seek them. Fox is after ratings through unprincipled populism. Be it Sarah Palin or Ron Paul... If Fox thought Obama supporters were a demographic they could grab, they'd have The Daily Kos Nightly Report in prime time.

For IP'ers of the NOT-FOX-NEWS political persuasion. The solution is not just to turn to MSNBC for news, because although Keith Olbermann and Rachel Maddow do care, immensely, they are carried on that network only as long as they bring in good ratings in especially hard-to-reach younger demographics.

The solution is breaking up media monopolies. The solution to Fox News is not the liberal alternative, it's a diversity of ownership and viewpoints. Anti-trust and media ownership laws need to be revised with the current crises in mind.

Smaller and more responsive companies will make democracy, and capitalism, work. Many corporate contributors will argue otherwise. So the voice of small-is-good needs to be heard.

House: https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml
Senate: http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm
President: http://www.whitehouse.gov/CONTACT/

Those of us that elected Obama should not believe that supporting him means not criticising him. He's a born moderate. He builds consensus among parties whenever possible. Supporters of 'small is good' in business, media and government, need to show up at the party to be considered in the solution.

Both segments of Bill Moyer's Journal this week (April 3rd) did a good job of making the case:
http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/04032009/watch.html

Just a thought for IP... thanks for the always-lively discussion.

Sheryl