Interesting People mailing list archives

Senators Propose Massive Federal Control Over Cybersecurity and Internet

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 18:44:54 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: April 3, 2009 6:31:28 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Senators Propose Massive Federal Control Over Cybersecurity and Internet

Senators Propose Massive Federal Control Over Cybersecurity and Internet

                 http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/000534.html

Greetings.  I'll keep this brief for now.  Two U.S. Senators have
proposed new legislation that would provide for a massive increase in
federal involvement into key aspects of "cybersecurity," plus direct
impacts on the global Internet's operations, control, and even the
"certification and licensing" of related personnel.

The draft bill, a copy of which I have archived here:

http://lauren.vortex.com/Cyber-S-2009.pdf

is of such broad and encompassing scope that I won't even try to
critique it in detail yet.  I urge you to read through it for
yourself -- and hold on to your hats.

Thought experiment: How will the rest of the world react to this
proposal?

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () vortex com
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
  - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, NNSquad
  - Network Neutrality Squad - http://www.nnsquad.org
Founder, GCTIP - Global Coalition
  for Transparent Internet Performance - http://www.gctip.org
Founder, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
Twitter: LW1