Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Oracle Agrees to Acquire Sun Microsystems - NYTimes.com

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 08:18:32 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: April 20, 2009 4:24:45 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Oracle Agrees to Acquire Sun Microsystems - NYTimes.com

It *will* be interesting. Things are complex enough that one cannot say it is the "worst" case, but one advantage of most "open source" licenses is that the community of developers can "fork" the project into a community supported project, no matter what the owner does, and of course the owner doesn't hold a copyright on the entire source-code body, since many authors did not work for the owner that was sold.

Perhaps we will see a new trademark rise from the ashes of MySql, and a newly vigorous development community will be funded by those in the community who do not wish to be beholden to Oracle. Or maybe not... after all, old database companies learn new tricks sometimes.

All I can say is that just because MySql is in some sense "owned" by Sun, this by no means means the same as Windows being "owned" by Microsoft.

Business strategies around MySql by both Oracle and its competitors will be entirely different than they would if MySql were a traditional "closed proprietary" software product under license. And even more complex will be the "antitrust" issues raised by the sale - a smart Oracle would argue that there is no increase in control of the market because they don't "own" the product. And smart antitrust plaintiffs could argue that ownership has never been the core of antitrust. The courts will have fun.

Begin forwarded message: