Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Another reason I don't like the 'cloud' idea

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 07:35:22 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Wook <mr.wook () gmail com>
Date: April 17, 2009 3:09:19 AM EDT
To: Rodney Van Meter <rdv () sfc wide ad jp>, dave () farber net, rforno () infowarrior org
Subject: Re: [IP] Another reason I don't like the 'cloud' idea

It's some concern, but in fact is pretty trivial to get non-Amazon content on (and off) your Kindle. Recently, Steven Windwalkers Kindle Newsletter has had pointers for trivial loading of other sources of ebooks using the wireless system (the more cumbersome USB route is also available). I've also been directly mailing documents (.txt, .html) to my kindle since I got it (but clearly, this requires Amazon support). This is one of the troubling thing about the Kindle 2 having no SD support (which I use VERY heavily, eating up about .5GB -- which is a great deal of text -- on my SD card).

I wish I could say it stacks up as well as books in the long term, but neither I nor anyone else have any long term Kindle experience. I can say this: Since I've gotten my Kindle, I'm reading 2~3 hours a day more (esp. for enjoyment) than before I got my kindle (~14 months ago). I've lost any number of books over the years to apartment damage, storage damage, moves, friends, and the bottom line is, since I moved in with Molly (and eventually married her), I just don't have as much space for Books as I'd like/need. Also, having the choice between several hundred books, Newsweek, Slashdot, Technology Review, and Hackzine, whenever I get off my
motorcycle, is a tremendous convenience.

I haven't had to use the 'cloud' (Amazon) as my backing store (yet), although my friend Deb finds it to be a tremendous convenience (and hasn't gone the SD route as a result). I've also downloaded the iPod Touch Kindle Applet, although I haven't really relied on it yet. Molly has also found some great kindle 'opportunities' when acquiring out-of-print material for work.

Perhaps the greatest problem with the kindle I've had is it's excessive convenience. Recently, Tor and other publishers have made some of their books available free for a limited time. In each case, I've found at least one author (and sometimes two or three) who sucked my in for a whole series of books. During my annual xmas/vgas trip, I spent every morning in the Starbucks at Planet Hollywood plowing through one book after the next of an author I was introduced to with Tors 8 free book offer of the week before. And since it takes less time to download a book than it does to get an Iced Tea refilled, I spent about $50 at Starbucks over
4 days reading, sipping, and having a croissant...

For me, it works very well, it's monstrously convenient, and I'm getting a ton of use out of it. And if Amazon were to go up in smoke tomorrow, I'd lose roughly the same investment I would if my storage locker flooded, with a comparable recreation cost. Whereas if my kindle ate it in traffic, I'd have access to all my stuff from my iPod, until I got a new kindle (which at $360 roughly pays for itself in ~150 book purchases, based on current discounting).

I am planning on getting a second Kindle (not the Kindle 2 tho), when the 8.5x11 comes out
(probably not this year).

    Love,
           Wook