Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Another reason I don't like the 'cloud' idea

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 16:47:54 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Gordon Peterson <gep2 () terabites com>
Date: April 16, 2009 2:03:19 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Another reason I don't like the 'cloud' idea

This isn't just a problem with Kindle, but also with Google Docs and web services of all kinds. Not only do you have a potentially big liability if your enabling account goes away, but also if your Internet connection goes down. If you're dependent on your Internet connection to perform even the most basic business tasks (word processing, spreadsheets, etc) then when your Internet connection goes down, you are OUT OF BUSINESS and you've got ALL your employees basically just sitting on their hands. There are a LOT of advantages to being able to work at least semi-independently, using little more than the ONE computer sitting on the desk in front of you.

And even if you're dependent on an inhouse server, at least THERE *you* can fix it without having to depend upon a company that is much less motivated than YOU are to get your company working again right away... and you don't have to argue with a group of glorified telephone answering service staff off in India first.

Dependency on multiple web services for basic business functions (order entry, credit card clearing, etc etc) is even worse, since the more machines and links that have to be running simultaneously in order to complete transactions quickly dramatically reduces your availability percentages.

Begin forwarded message: