Interesting People mailing list archives

Good analysis of bailout

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 19:07:51 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dana Blankenhorn <dana () a-clue com>
Date: September 21, 2008 6:44:37 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Good analysis of bailout

Dave.

Rather than trying to add non-germane provisions, a true leader at this point would concentrate on key points.

1. Who's going to be in charge of this money? We need a trader who will be working for us, not the crooks. 2. What will the price be on the assets being acquired? How much on the dollar are we willing to give? 3. What happens if the price the government can get for the assets it buys is less, even after some time has passed, than we paid? I would suggest we make the difference a charge against the earnings of the company selling us the junk. The charge could be amortized over a reasonable period of time, and the charging could begin after the firm in question returns to profitability.

The whole idea is to use our capital pile to buy time, liquifying the market in the short term and selling the assets on a reasonable basis afterward. We can actually make money on this if we the people do it right. We can also dump another trillion down the sinkhole.

If you stand on those principles this week, you can win some concessions. If you go after free money for the middle class, you not only lose the trillion but the election as well.

--
Dana Blankenhorn                http://www.danablankenhorn.com
Voic.Us                 http://www.voic.us