Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: A series of interchanges as a result -- How a few inches become 500 miles.

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 18:30:16 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bob Frankston" <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: September 21, 2008 6:20:23 PM EDT
Cc: <Jason_Livingood () cable comcast com>, <tkoppel () comcast net>
Subject: RE: [ NNSquad ]  How a few inches become 500 miles.

George, I’m not sure why you are trying so hard to defend the status quo when it is so obviously flawed and is within the context of a marketplace architecture that is so dysfunctional. If you could improve some of the current protocols and business models what would you do – is today’s system the best that we can have?

Perhaps I’m all-too-aware of the problems because I was around as the stuff evolved and still think of it as a series of fortunate hacks that have accumulated far too much sludge and have been forced to work within the context of a 19th century theory of telecommunications.

Note that I explicitly address the issue of logical vs geographic distance. The protocols still work but the real world aspects affect performance and we also are forced to run past a billing point.

As to cell phones – why are you an apologist for the current design even if it is fatally flawed? If you’re not near a tower you can’t communicate. Yet the phones are likely to both have 802.11 (though we should be able to do far better than 802.11). It would be very hard to make the current system more complex than it is – if you look at the protocols they are very complex because of the billing requirements and the channel allocation requirements. Don’t confuse your naïve design assumptions with what can be done.

You’re right that the routing between two points tends to be static – so why do we act as if the network has to dynamically track all the end points. Why don’t we learn from the post office and use relatively static addresses for routing and relatively static names for naming. That would make the protocols far simpler than today’s protocols which are all optimized for the most dynamic case and make it difficult to take advantage of any of the stability. And they fail in their task because there are no stable names and today’s network fails if you disconnect parts from the root!