Interesting People mailing list archives

One of your readers...

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 15:11:18 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Gene Spafford <spaf () cerias purdue edu>
Date: September 2, 2008 1:39:07 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: One of your readers...

Dave,

Perhaps one of your readers would know the answer to this. I've tried various online and book searches and cannot find the answer.

Some time back, I read (somewhere) that Thomas Watson, Jr. took a big gamble in going from the IBM 700 series to the 7000 series by using all transistor logic. This was circa 1959. The figure I recall is that transistors were about $7 each (in 1959 dollars; about $60 each in today's dollars).

I'm looking for confirmation and/or a source citation for this.

Thanks in advance.
--spaf