Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: McCain answers Scientists & Engineers for America's questionaire

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 04:45:35 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: John Bartas <jbartas () speakeasy net>
Date: September 15, 2008 8:33:44 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: McCain answers Scientists & Engineers for America's questionaire

Dave - a reply to Rahul:

On the contrary, I was struck by the substantial difference between the two answers to question 1. To summarize (anonymizing per Rahul's request):

Campaign FOO would stoke the innovation pipeline by funding pure research and more STEM education (grants, scholarships, student loans, more K-12 science, etc).

Campaign BAR would provide tax breaks and pools of capital to motivate businesses to innovate, essentially trying to pull more out of the existing innovation pipeline.

  Each approach makes a basic assumption about innovation.

FOO assumes that education will boost innovation, that higher education will produce more breakthrough discoveries.

BAR assumes that financial rewards motivate invention - that scientists and engineers will invent more if tax if the tax and investment climate is favorable.

My personal experience favors FOO. The scientists I know, mostly silicon valley types but also aerospace and chemistry, did get solid education before they contributed. But these folks didn't worry much about tax rates and capital pools - they had their ideas first and thought about productizing them as an afterthought, if at all. The BAR approach seems to assume innovations continue apace even if we fail to educate young scientists.

The BAR idea holds that greed is more important to innovation than intelligence. But how often does someone say "Wow I just thought up a killer invention! But I'm going to wait until taxes go down before I productize it."

Cheers,
-JB-

Begin forwarded message: