Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: WiMax whats up?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 07:51:31 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David Lesher" <wb8foz () panix com>
Date: September 1, 2008 5:45:20 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net (David Farber)
Subject: [IP] Re:   WiMax whats up?

Brett:
There's actually quite a lot going on in the wireless world. However,
there are some important points to understand.

1. WiMAX was, and is, overhyped. At bottom, WiMAX is nothing special
.
2. Wireless service continues to be hobbled by poor national spectrum
.
3. Finally, at the very root of the problem lies the entire notion of

Forest/trees.....

WiMax is alleged to be an alternative Last Mile, and with stranded vice
solid wire so you can drag it around behind you without breakage.

But what good is that, unless the WiMax towers are fed with enough backhaul
to fill that wire with bits?

To feed the {I'd guess} several hundred WiMAX towers in say the DC/Balt
market, you'd need 100MB/s backhaul from each to the Big Kuhuna. Is that
going to come from the Bandwidth Fairy, nightly leaving a bucket of
packets under the site's pillow?

Aside from those dreams, the WiMAX carrier buys those backhauls. And who,
you might ask, has the needed fiber to all those locations [not a few or
some, but all]? Not Brett, or Ted Stevens {or Sarah Palin}, but ....the
ILEC!

So, in other words, WiMAX, the potential competitor to ILEC control of the
Last Mile, must buy its own Last Mile from those same folks.

DOH....

This helps how?

[Yea, I've seen some PR puff re: a microwave mesh provider was going to
provide RF backhauls to Sprint for their XOHM. Please show me when it's
delivering the bits, and tell me what they charge.]

ps: the Big Kuhuna location? Do the math; and put it somewhere with a
REALLY big pipe....

[Or is that "Why, Max?" as in "Sorry about that, Chief..."]