Interesting People mailing list archives

PACER

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 19:32:39 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Carl Malamud <carl () media org>
Date: October 28, 2008 5:20:33 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Fwd: PACER

Hi Dave -

In case you missed this (didn't see it on this morning's IP updates) ... if it isn't relevant, that's fine as well.

Best regards,

Carl

Begin forwarded message:

From: Carl Malamud <carl () media org>
Date: October 27, 2008 12:56:09 PM PDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: PACER

Hi Dave -

For IP if you wish.

We have updated our page on the U.S. Courts:

http://public.resource.org/uscourts.gov/index.html

Two things are new.

First, a series of memoranda regarding privacy and court documents exchanged over the last 5 months have been released, including an audit of 32 of the district courts and all of the appellate circuits. The most recent letter is here:

http://bulk.resource.org/courts.gov/pacer/0-docs/letter_to_judge_rosenthal_10242008.pdf

Second, we are releasing a substantial archive of PACER documents from 32 District Courts. The collection untars to 770 gigabytes. We are encouraging individuals and institutions to adopt their local trial court, maintaining and developing a better archive of documents for their chosen jurisdiction and helping our courts develop a more effective mechanism for the distribution of public information and the protection of personal privacy.

Best regards,

Carl