Interesting People mailing list archives

Early voting data

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 19:51:57 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Cameron Wilson <wilson_c () hq acm org>
Date: October 27, 2008 5:19:06 PM EDT
To: USACM () LISTSERV ACM ORG
Subject: Fwd: Early voting data

Hi --

I thought that this list would be interested in some data that David found.

Cameron

Begin forwarded message:

From: David Bruggeman <bruggeman_d () hq acm org>
Date: October 27, 2008 4:37:20 PM EDT
To: Cameron Wilson <wilson_c () hq acm org>, Sara Appleyard <Sara.Appleyard () widmeyer com > Cc: Gene Spafford <spaf () cerias purdue edu>, Virginia Gold <v_gold () hq acm org >, Lillian Israel <israel () hq acm org>, Brian Hebert <hebert () hq acm org>
Subject: Early voting data

The same GMU researcher who gathered the primary data I provided has been
collected early voting data:

http://elections.gmu.edu/early_vote_2008.html

As of this morning's information, 11.5 million people have voted early
nationwide, which is approximately 9.3% of the total 2004 vote. Some states
are reporting numbers that are 25-30% of the total 2004 vote for their
states. Many states are exceeding the percentages of early voting from 2004, with a few days left to vote in most of these states. That means that
early voting numbers in those states have already exceeded their early
voting totals from 2004.

Cameron Wilson
Director of Public Policy
Association for Computing Machinery