Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: GOOD READ Credit Default Swap (CDS) question and answer

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 20:32:04 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Tony Weasler <ippost () tony3 com>
Date: October 19, 2008 7:19:24 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Credit Default Swap (CDS) question and answer

Dave,

 For IP if you wish:

Referenced in a previous post to IP, the best concise explanation of
credit default swaps I have seen is in a "This American Life" episode:
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?sched=1263

Now, let's address the original poster's question of whether we can
clean up the mess by invalidating the non-bondholder CDS contracts...

First, a quick, simplified example of a CDS triangle:
SuperMega, an investment bank, buys a $100 million bond from Sound
Capitol to provide Sound with the liquidity that they need to run their daily operations. SuperMega is confident but not certain about the odds of getting paid back so they go to Credit, Inc. and buy a credit default
swap (CDS) that pays them for any losses if Sound's liquid assets fall
below a certain amount.
-- In this case the CDS is similar to home insurance.

Second, a slightly more complicated five-party example:
MoreMega, another investment bank, decides that Sound Capitol's business model is pretty good and decides to invest $500 million with them. They
are concerned that certain unlikely conditions will lead to Sound's
collapse.  Because of their uncertainty MM buys 2 CDS contracts from
Hedge, Inc. and 3 CDS contracts from BIG, a large financial services
company, on SuperMega's loan to protect themselves against a total
failure of Sound Capital.
-- In this case the CDS is similar to life insurance policies taken out on people who make money for you (like the CEO, President, and CFO of a
company.)

Finally, let's add a little arbitrage:
Crazy Capitol, a large hedge fund, analyzes how Sound Capitol is making
its money and based on current market conditions determines that Sound
is headed for a decline.  Crazy Capitol also determines that it can
manipulate the price of Sound's assets by strategically buying and
selling the financial instruments that Sound trades.  Crazy buys 7 CDS
contracts from BIG betting on the demise of Sound's portfolio.  Crazy
then borrows $300 million from SuperMega to trade against Sound and make
its assets appear shaky.  Crazy is successful and Sound's investors
begin to run for cover.  Quickly, Sound's assets shrink and the
conditions of the CDS contracts (and bond default conditions) are met.
Sound declares bankruptcy because they can't raise the needed capitol to
repay the bonds.  Crazy loses the $300 million used to bankrupt Sound
but makes a paper profit of $700 million from the CDS contracts.  BIG
doesn't have the cash to satisfy the contracts and turns to the
government to pay its obligations.  The government obliges and pays
Crazy and MoreMega. Credit and Hedge's shareholders shoulder the whole
CDS loss on their own.
-- In this case the CDS is similar to a loss-of-use insurance policy
taken out on sports player who can be placed in a situation where they
are likely to lose the ability to play the game (they are coerced by a
third-party into in a riskier environment than when the insurance policy
was purchased by that same third-party.)

These are all simplistic, purely fictional examples, but I hope that
they explain a few of the potential scenarios where CDS contracts can be
used.  Obviously, governments can't invalidate all of them without
unintended negative consequences.  Imagine what would happen to
MoreMega's shareholders if they lost their entire investment.  Even
though MoreMega didn't hold the bonds, MoreMega was still significantly
affected by Sound's demise and would be "made whole" again through
payment of the CDS contracts that they own.
 Obviously, Crazy Capitol's bets were not beneficial to the financial
system as a whole and potentially criminal, but often the case is not
nearly as cut-and-dry especially when international transactions are
involved. It is often very difficult to determine whether a holder of a
CDS was diversifying risk or gambling because there isn't enough
transparency in the markets where these instruments are traded.

Here is some food for thought:
Current estimates of the worldwide CDS market are between $55,000 and
$75,000 billion[1][2]. They are backing an estimated $6,000 billion in
bonds and commercial paper[3].  This means that if an average bond
defaults, the payments to CDS holders could be over 10x the default
amount. How much was the bailout amount again?

For those people who still think that this is a mortgage-issuer crisis:
when 10% of mortgages go into default, the value of the mortgages held
decreases by 5-10% (because of the residual value of the house.)  When
the bonds covered by CDS contracts default at a rate of 10%, the debts
of CDS issuers could increase by over 100% of the total bond market
value[4].   For a present-situation example, Lehman Brothers bonds
valued at about $130 billion resulted in CDS payment obligations of
about $400 billion [5] or about 3:1 over-selling of CDS contracts. This
is surprisingly low given the figures above, but a clear indicator of
the lack of good information emerging from these elusive markets.
 Incidentally, all of these Lehman CDS obligations are payable this
Tuesday, October 21st[6]. That is when we will see whether the sellers
of Lehman CDS contracts are capable of paying their obligations.  This
has the potential to create another cascading failure of the capitol
markets if enough counter-parties can't pay.  It could be another wild
ride this week in the markets.

 The larger problem as I see it is that people investing in companies
like SuperMega, and MoreMega don't have enough information to make good investment decisions because they don't know whether BIG, Credit, Crazy,
and Hedge can pay their obligations.  Additionally, there is enough
time-delay, opacity and repositories of huge cash stockpiles in the
world's financial markets that organizations like Crazy Capitol can
orchestrate failures for their own financial gain.
 I understand the need to maintain stable international financial
markets through government liquidity injection, but it is beginning to
look like we would be better off killing off the current
translucent-speculation system.  A much better alternative is a
transparent global financial system that discourages highly-leveraged
speculation in favor of tangible goods- and services-producing
investments. This is illustrated by the fact that investors seeking to
purchase a private company will pay orders of magnitude more for it if
they intend to bring it public in the near future.

Best Regards,
Tony

[1]  I don't use the word trillion because it's not commonly used and
difficult to understand in comparison to numbers in daily life. Billion
isn't much better, but at least we have some recent references that we
can compare it to.

[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credit_default_swap
http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssFinancialServicesAndRealEstateNews/idUSN1472586720080915
http://www.bis.org/publ/qtrpdf/r_qa0809.pdf#page=103
I arrived at the $75 trillion by extrapolating the figures for 2008 from the September, 2008 Bank for International Settlements report linked above.
(It is insane that the margin of error of the information readily
available to the public is larger than the size of the US GDP for a year
and not nearly current enough to act upon.)

[3] I couldn't find a good reference for this... just blog entries, but I'm reasonably sure I saw it in a reputable publication in the last two
weeks.

[4] I am assuming a 10:1 ratio of debt to credit default swaps so if the
total value of all bonds is $10 trillion and there is a $1 trillion
default (10% of the total market,) then the resulting obligations of CDS
issuers is 10x $1 trillion or $10 trillion* (which equals 100% of the
current bond market.)  It's hard to understand because is sounds so
completely foolish and counter-intuitive.
* It's actually lower because there is a residual bond value which in
Lehman's case was about $0.0975 per $1 issued. Since the 10x was a low estimate anyway I just left the residual value of the bond out for clarity.

[5] http://www.ft.com/cms/s/ 0/25137702-972d-11dd-8cc4-000077b07658.html

[6] http://www.isda.org/2008lehmancdsprot/docs/Lehman-CDS-Protocol.pdf