Interesting People mailing list archives

Amid Pressing Problems, Threat of Deflation Looms

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 20:32:56 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: dewayne () warpspeed com (Dewayne Hendricks)
Date: October 18, 2008 7:53:28 PM EDT
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <xyzzy () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] Amid Pressing Problems, Threat of Deflation Looms

[Note:  This item comes from friend Charlie Brown.  DLH]

From: Charles Brown <cbrown () flyingcircuit com>
Date: October 18, 2008 10:46:36 AM PDT
To: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>

Hi,

Check these brief articles out for a brief discussion of deflation.

<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122428776277746551.html>

<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122419852898842701.html>

And the article below, which describes the dynamic but misinterprets what is actually happening. Japanese banks' unwillingness to transparently disclose the extent of their losses post their bubble is analogous to the opaqueness of the derivatives market, specifically, the Credit Default Swaps (CDS) market of $55 + trillion. Both situations display a clear lack of political Will. IOW, I disagree with the implied conclusion of the article, i.e., deflation is not a risk in the US because it's financial system is inherently transparent and the politicians can't hide the problems in league with the banks. Granted, the article was written on Aug, 21 but explains my argument about how the US looks very much like Japan post its 90's bubble in real estate and securities markets. The CDS losses are not transparent, and the current policy of the US Treasury is similar to that of the Japanese government in the early 90's; "de-leveraging" in Wall Street-speak, which is nothing more than a policy of keeping the banks' equity wealth intact for its shareholders and related parties - Wall Street.

<http://www.economist.com/finance/displaystory.cfm?story_id=11964819>

The deflation scenario is becoming more likely by the day, which means that the Fed and the EU's central banks will be running the printing presses overtime. Thus, Bubble #3 is vying as the dominant theme, drive by a psychological reaction of fear and greed. The printing presses are rolling 24x7. The downside risk is hyper- inflation, similar to the 80's reaction to the post-70's decade-long recession. The underlying political theory goes something like this: How do you discount American household and other debt and keep the American middle class whole? Inflation; discount their debt.

Time to revise my top four scenarios slightly.

Scenario 1 - Bubble #3 and post-bubble inflation/depression. This has always been my favorite. The salient risk that could undue this scenario is the collapse of the dollar, but if the other central banks in the EU are also printing, which they are, then currencies are more likely to adjust accordingly. IOW, the Chinese yuan will appreciate. We need to watch how China plays this scenario since they are holding $2 trillion in dollar reserves. If the dollar collapses all bets are off on the bubble #3 scenario and the US moves directly to Scenario #2. In any event, post-bubble #3 will be the Mother of all Depressions unless the banking systems' balance sheets have been completely repaired accompanied by a very heavy regulatory imprint, worldwide.

Scenario 2 - Deflation. This is "The Weasel's" (Bernanke's) worst nightmare. It wipes out the American middle class and leads to Great Depression #2. For the wealthy, it is an opportunity to accumulate more wealth.

Scenario 3 - Very slow worldwide growth, gradual "de-leveraging" accompanied by unabated risk of Scenarios 1 or 2 to the fore at any time. Japanese-style, decade long recession, accompanied by weak dollar and healthy export sector competitive with much appreciated Yuan and Yen. Possible stimulus to American manufacturing sector.

Scenario 4 - The Mother of All Compression Parties forced by a political Will to cleanup the derivatives market, losses subsidized by government funding and effective regulation of the financial system. Big Question: Can the world's governments afford it? At the moment, the US Congress doesn't even understand what is going on.

To say that the world economy will remain on tenterhooks for the foreseeable future is an understatement.

The extent of the cynical damage these people and institutions have caused hasn't sunk-in yet. The reason that this is clear to me is that if people really did understand the extent of the potential damage to the social order, there would be necktie parties on Capitol Hill and Wall Street. For those who do understand, this desire for justice and reform will be slaked by show trials.

The combination of bad government and Wall Street greed can be lethal to a capitalist system. The principal difference this time is that they managed to export it. Japan and China were about the only major banking systems not to take a bite out of the proverbial apple, but then they have their own set of unique financial and corruption problems. You may surmise the political reaction to this in the near future in countries around the world. This should be rather interesting to see evolve.

With the likely exception of George Bush, most political leaders around the world remember the German Weimar Republic during the 20's and early 30's. The various political systems and leaders around the world will cooperate with each other out of fear, pure fear. If they fail, the mature democracy (US) among then may follow historical pattern and enter the final stage of all Democracies and Republics; the age of the demagogues, or the the age of the Emperors in the case of the Roman Republic. Only the US in the 1930's could have produced Huey Long; Germany, Hitler, and so on.

In the name of greed = ignorance, our inheritance has been squandered and or posterity polluted. If I had been completely honest with myself I would have admitted years ago that the Hamiltonian vision of this Republic had prevailed, even before the Civil War.

Charlie
RSS Feed: <http://www.warpspeed.com/wordpress>