Interesting People mailing list archives

FCC Chief Is Silent in Probe - washingtonpost.com

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 00:52:57 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: David Chessler <chessler () usa net>
Date: November 15, 2008 12:44:06 AM EST
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: FCC Chief Is Silent in Probe - washingtonpost.com

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/14/AR2008111403375.html

FCC Chief Is Silent in Probe
Lawmakers Could Finish Leadership Inquiry Without His Input

By Cecilia Kang
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, November 15, 2008; D02

Lawmakers investigating Federal Communications Commission Chairman Kevin J. Martin said yesterday that he has failed to respond to their requests for an interview, even though Congress has neared the final stages of its inquiry into his leadership.

Reps. John D. Dingell (D-Mich.), chairman of the Committee on Energy and Commerce, and Bart Stupak (D-Mich.), chairman of the subcommittee on oversight and investigations, yesterday sent a letter to Martin and three other FCC staffers, telling them that they have until Nov. 21 to meet with the House committee staff. If they do not, the committee will finalize its report without their input.

A committee spokesperson said the final report is expected to be released this month.

"Since last week, the committee staff has attempted to arrange an interview to provide you with an opportunity to comment personally on these matters," Dingell and Stupak wrote. "Thus far, however, your office has failed to arrange a meeting in response to our calls."

Identical letters were sent to Martin; his chief of staff, Dan Gonzalez; the FCC's inspector general, Kent Nilsson; and Catherine Bohigian, a former aide to Martin who is vice president of federal affairs for Cablevision Systems.

Martin's office said it has cooperated with Dingell and Stupak's office in the investigation and has provided thousands of documents at their request.

"We continue to cooperate with the committee, and we're considering their offer," said Robert Kenny, a spokesman for the FCC.

Dingell launched the investigation into the regulatory practices and management of the FCC in December after complaints surfaced from within the commission that Martin had suppressed reports that didn't support his agenda to change media ownership rules and purposely delayed meetings for several hours to pressure other commissioners.

Some said Martin tried to rush through controversial reforms on how phone companies pay each other and the overhaul of a federal program that provides funds to phone service providers in rural and underserved areas.

Those proposals were pulled from the agenda of the FCC's meeting earlier this month after the commission's four other members disagreed with Martin, according to sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the investigation is ongoing.

"We have witnessed too much sniping among the five commissioners, and we have heard too many tales of a short-circuited decision-making process," Dingell said last December at a hearing on media ownership reforms. "The FCC appears to be broken."

© 2008 The Washington Post Company

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

*** FAIR USE NOTICE. This message contains copyrighted material
the use of which has not been specifically authorized by the
copyright owner. This Internet discussion group is making it
available without profit to group members who have expressed a
prior interest in receiving the included information in their
efforts to advance the understanding of literary, educational,
political, and economic issues, for non-profit research and
educational purposes only. I believe that this constitutes a
'fair use' of the copyrighted material as provided for in section
107 of the U.S. Copyright Law. If you wish to use this copyrighted
material for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use,' you
must obtain permission from the copyright owner.