Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: I AGREE!!! bad news about travel

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 09:05:22 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: November 10, 2008 7:48:09 PM EST
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] bad news about travel

One of things that I think we should be doing is making most of our
meetings and conferences virtual, thus saving the time, expense, hassle,
and energy required to make them physical.  I say "most" and not "all"
because I recognize that sometimes the real work of conferences takes
place in ad hoc settings.  But surely we have long since had the ability
to handle routine paper presentations, plenary addresses, and panel
discussions remotely?

I think one of the ways that IPers (if I might label those assembled
thusly) and others of similar persuasion could provide a leadership
role in cutting energy consumption and reducing emissions would be to
seriously pursue this option, including motivating our various
professional societies to embrace it.

---Rsk