Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: the undead urban myth of the LOC/EID split

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 17:01:00 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Tony Lauck <tlauck () madriver com>
Date: November 5, 2008 3:06:50 PM EST
To: Dave CROCKER <dcrocker () bbiw net>
Cc: "'David Farber'" <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] the undead urban myth of the LOC/EID split

If it had a few more bits the one serious problem with IP v4 would have been pushed out past our lifetimes. Unfortunately, Vint Cerf did not take me seriously back in 1978 when I suggested that the 32 bit address was going to be too small if he were successful. :-)

As to the ID function, I think you are on the right track in starting with existing end to end security mechanisms such as TLS. I haven't thought through any details, beyond the possibility that a private key / public key pair can serve as an ID without requiring new global infrastructure.

Tony Lauck
https://www.aglauck.com

That is what motivated my selections, above, starting with Tony Lauck's observation about complexity: The network layer really does work well. I mean *really* well. As "experiments" or "prototypes" go, IPv4 has not done all that badly. Not too many technologies scale over that many years and that many orders of magnitude of population size and performance speeds.