Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Chinese hackers breach white house computer systems[RISKS] Risks Digest 25.45

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 02:49:46 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Marc Aniballi | Personal" <marcaniballi () gmail com>
Date: November 18, 2008 1:49:59 AM EST
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: [IP] Chinese hackers breach white house computer systems[RISKS] Risks Digest 25.45

Dear David;

This strikes me as laughable. Just because some government geek tracked a hack back to a server in China, does not mean that the attack originated in China! It could have come from anywhere! Unless the Chinese government is fully supporting US investigations into/ through Chinese telecom networks and datacenters (oh, that's likely), there is no way for a technologist to unequivocally state that it is a "Chinese Threat;" Unless, of course, the US has (unofficially. of course) completely hacked the Chinese infrastructure and has (secret and undetected) root access to that infrastructure. (Quid Pro Quo, Clarisse! . . . Not likely).

So here we are again - why are the Chinese "supposedly" hacking the White House? I can't see ANY reasonably valuable upside for them. What is the benefit to the US government to CLAIM that they are being attacked by China . . . hmmm. Anyone looking for a bigger budget?

Marc Aniballi

This e-mail is intended solely for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. Any review, dissemination, copying, printing or other use of this e- mail by persons or entities other than the addressee is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete the material from any computer.

 Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.