Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Kids.....(Easy scapegoats aren't they?)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 01:53:23 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Mary Shaw" <mary.shaw () gmail com>
Date: November 17, 2008 8:16:02 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Kids.....(Easy scapegoats aren't they?)

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

This was attributed to Socrates by Plato (according to Bartleby.com). It is a customary activity of each generation to complain about the younger generation, just as it is a customary activity of each generation to cause shock and consternation in the elder generation.

That said, Anthony Watson makes a number of sweeping and overreaching claims. Rahul and Christian mentioned several. Another is the bit about social security -- I've been paying full freight into social security all the time I've been at the university, and I also pay into a private retirement plan that I plan to use to support my retirement. I have had many excellent students who worked to learn, and I have also had my share of students who want me to "give" them grades they have not earned (sorry, I don't "give" grades, you EARN them). Brashness and exaggeration is another customary activity of youth (would that more people grew out of it as they enter the next generation). and beating back the exaggerations is another privilege of age.

Mary Shaw