Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Wi Air Force's Scare-Mongering Space Ad Shoves Facts Out of the Airlock

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 05:08:30 -0700

From: David P. Reed [dpreed () reed com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 8:01 AM
To: DV Henkel-Wallace
Cc: David Farber
Subject: Re: [IP] Wi Air Force's Scare-Mongering Space Ad Shoves Facts Out of the Airlock

Right.  It's not your framing - it's the fashionable framing, as I
said.  I personally think it's important to question the assumption that
if some military power makes the world safe, more makes us safer (and
other such taboo questions).

We'll never know, of course, but Churchill bombed and gassed native
tribespeoplein a number of places, such as Iraq and India, *before*
Hitler did similar tests in Guernica, so that might suggest that
Churchill and Hitler were the joint cause of WWII.

It's clear from the historical record that Churchill, even more than
Hitler, loved military action and pursued it whether necessary or not.
It's also clear that he hated "the Hun" - and may have enjoyed provoking
exactly the situation that made him able to tell the story of his own
"heroism".

Did Churchill help stop WWII?   It's hard to escape the thought that
perhaps he "broke it, so he bought it".

He's a greater man than Bush/Cheney.   They can't even end what they
started.

DV Henkel-Wallace wrote:
Well the question of course framed in military terms from the
beginning.   But if you accept the idea you must have a military you
start down that slippery slope.  I think it would have been worth
forcing the Navy to find a de-icing solution that didn't turn Moffett
Field into a superfund site.  I think the case is much harder to make
for active combat.

And your question of keeping space nonmilitarised: my point is that
armies generally ignore treaties at will as war could be (inadequately
in my mind) considered a result of treaty failure.  It's really no
different from having to worry about locking down your
network-connected computer: those script kiddies aren't _supposed_ to
try to break in, but they do.

Ironically I watched The Day the Earth Stood Still with my son for the
(his) first time last week...perhaps that's what moved me to write back.

-g

PS: the observation of the Geneva Conventions by all sides in the
European theatre of WWII is extraordinary and remarkable and it's
astonishing that it isn't more widely discussed.